Friday, December 10, 2010

Fleece hat: make your own!

You wouldn't believe how easy it is to make your own fleece hat.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, we headed out to do some snowmobiling and I realized I didn't have a winter hat.

So instead of fighting the black Friday shopping rush, I pulled out some pink fleece material my sister had given me, and within about 20 minutes it was done.




Instead of following a pattern (which you can find free online in a bunch of places) I decided just to trace my husband's hat and modify it.



And it was not only cute, but kept my head and ears perfectly warm the whole time!

Okay, one action shot to show you I really used it.

4 comments:

  1. This little pink number was the FIRST thing I noticed in your recent post...DARLING!!! Can't believe you made it up and in 20 minutes....

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE!!!! too bad it doesn't get cold enough down here, :( using what i have on hand is a great way to make things without using a pattern. i made a dress for paige that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. does it take a 1/2 yard of fleece to make one?You rock girl,did a really good job,i love the hat.By the way do you have tutorial bout the flower?thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - thanks for the nice comments and sorry for the delay in getting back to you about the hat!

    I pretty much winged this project so I'm not sure of exact measurements, but I'll try to give you a close proximity!

    Laying the hat flat and measuring the width across the rim is just under 11" across, so double that for a fabric width of 22" + seam allowance.

    For the height, from the rim to the top of the hat, (including the fold over for the rim), is 11-1/2", so double that for length of fabric = 23" + seam allowance; plus the flower.

    For the flower, I basically took a strip of fleece about 1-1/2 inches wide and maybe 8" long and ruffled one edge all the way down and wound it on the hat in a circular pattern to create the flower and sewed it on at the ruffled edge.

    I hope this helps a little. I know I'm such a visual person that a written explanation might not be as helpful. Let me know if something still isn't clear!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips