Monday, July 11, 2011

Add belt loops to a shirt: a little waist definition

I found this cute denim sleeveless shirt on a sale rack back in the winter (I added a t-shirt underneath).

It has a cute design, but due to its length, it kind of hangs a little tent-ish from the side. It needed a sash or belt to give my waist a little definition, like I did here.

And to keep a sash or belt in place (to avoid the slipped-sash-under-the-belly-look; yes, it's happened to me), I simply needed to add a couple of belt loops to the shirt.

Here's how:

1. Measure where you want your sash or belt to lie and mark your spot equally on both sides of the shirt.
2. Find material for the loops. I used embroidery floss (it's what I had on hand) and a needle big enough to strand it through.

3. Cut 2 pieces for the loops + a little more in order to tie a knot on one end. Mine were ~ 6".


4. From the inside of the shirt, stick the needle and floss through one of the marked side seams.

5. Stick the needle and floss back through the outside side seam; creating your loop. *Make sure you make the loop big enough to fit your favorite belt or sash. I only made mine about 1".


6. Tie off the floss inside the shirt. Make sure the loop on the outside of the shirt doesn't slip and become smaller while you're tying it off.
7. And there's one pretty little waist defining loop! Repeat the process on the other side of the shirt.

Enter cute blue and white striped sash, all cozy right where I put it:


or skinny white belt:

And, the cool thing about this...is if you feel like letting it all hang out and don't want to cinch your waist one day? Just pull the little knots from the inside and they magically disappear into the side seams. And no one has to know they're there at all!


*See another example of how I added belt-loops to a shirt

Linked to:

3 comments:

  1. This is a simple, but really cute idea! You should submit this to Craft Gossip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion Lindsay! I just submitted it. Great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! This will be perfect for the dresses and shirts in my wardrobe that need "a new life"! Can't wait to get out my embroidery floss stash!

    Chelsea
    www.artstork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips