Monday, September 12, 2011

Prevent rust rings: Shaving Cream Cozy

We've all been there, staring down at the edge of the tub with rings of rust staring back at us from those seemingly innocent shaving cream cans.

Well, no more people!

In a moment of tub-cleaning-exasperation inspiration, I knew there had to be a way to prevent those nasty rust rings shower cans leave behind, once and for all.

Some reach for their tool box; I reach for my sewing machine.

And within minutes (well, 30 of them) I had created a cute little Shaving Cream Cozy.

A thrifty, easy, glam and eco-friendly way to prevent rust rings on your tub. Forever! Leaving your shower chic-ee clean!  Sigh.



HERE'S HOW IT WORKS-

Just pop it on the bottom of the can


And place it in your tub.
Preventing a rust ring is a snap! And kinda cute too.






See how the fabric catches the rust, but your tub doesn't?


And since it's eco-friendly, you can just toss it in with your regular weekly laundry!
No harsh chemicals. No rusty rings!





{WATCH} the Shaving Cream Cozy do its magic!





Buy it here: Shaving Cream Cozy



Or if you're super crafty, you can make your own. 
Here's how:


Easy Design: Terrycloth with double fold bias tape edge and elastic




Step 1: measure your shaving cream can and cut out a circle about double the size of your can (so in this case, ~4").



Tip: When cutting out a circle, I like to fold my pattern and material in half and half again since I don't have a circle cutter.




Step 2: cut out enough double fold bias tape to fit, and pin around edge of terry cloth circle


Step 3: Sew on the bias tape.

Step 4: Cut your piece of elastic, enough to fit around the can and bunch with the fabric.

Step 5: Secure stitch your elastic, and stretch it as you sew it on with a zigzag stitch around the circle. This technique is a little tricky since you're stretching the elastic and trying to sew it in a circle at the same time, but you'll get the hang of it.










This is an easy, thrifty, eco-friendly way to prevent rust rings on your tub. And we all need something to make tub cleaning a little easier, don't we?!


8 comments:

  1. Great idea, I love your thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea!!! THanks for sharing! I am visiting from Gluesticks and I am a new follower! I hope you stop by my Delicately Constructed linky party and share this great project!!
    Hope you have a great weekend!!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I've linked to this project on AllFreeSewing.com. I think it's a great project our readers will love to make. Here's the link:
    http://www.allfreesewing.com/Miscellaneous-Projects/DIY-Shaving-Cream-Can-Cozy

    If you have any questions or would like to see more of your projects on the site, please feel free to contact me.

    Thanks!

    Kirsten
    Editor
    AllFreeSewing.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for such a great blog.best electric razor

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will prefer this blog because it has much more informative stuff.best panasonic electric shavers

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips