Friday, April 19, 2013

Sew Inspirational: Great British Sewing Bee Review

I was introduced to the most fantastic sewing show, The Great British Sewing Bee, from one of my dear reader's blogs, Janlynn- Sew More and I just had to share it with all of you!

GREAT BRITISH SEWING BEE

A bit similar to shows like Project Runway or Fashion Star, but a little closer to "home", the Great British Sewing Bee features home seamstresses / sewers (hobbyists, grandmothers, mothers, every day men and women), competing with one another to see who sews each project the best. And oh my, if you adore English accents (and maybe I'm also hearing Scottish?) you'll love watching the show just for the conversations!


SHOWS CREATIVE PROCESS

I've watched Great British Sewing Bee Season 1 Episode 1; Great British Sewing Bee Season 1 Episode 2 on youtube, and so far, projects have included refashioning a neckline, sewing men's trousers, making an A-line skirt, creating pockets, blouses and dresses. I love the fact that the show highlights details and the process of creating through completion, with helpful tips, instead of just showing the idea and end result.


RELATABLE

The coolest part about it, for me, is that these are real people you can identify with. Headline: Talented People Make Mistakes. What?! Even these amazing home seamstresses over-think things, overshoot simple projects, choose the wrong fabric, get stressed out, sew things on backwards and have to unpick seams. It helps remind me that to make mistakes is part of the process to success


INSPIRING

Watching these every day people rise to the challenge of sewing their first pair of pants, or sewing a custom fit top in just 4 hours, makes me think, "If they can do it, I can do it!" Even the greatest designers started somewhere.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to watch Great British Sewing Bee Season 1 Episode 3!
Three cheers for handmade!! 

Update:
Won't leave you hanging...here's Great British Sewing Bee Season 1 Episode 4 (finale)!



Never miss a post! Subscribe to ShannonSews
Like on facebook.com/SSorensenDesigns
Subscribe to youtube.com/ShannonSews

1 comment:

  1. oooow thanks forthe heads-up, I think I better find this show nd have a watch. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips