Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Exercise is no longer a bad word

biking in seattle, getting in shape
This has got to be one of the more productive years of my life! Did aliens take over my body? I have made goals that I'm actually achieving, had a very productive summer, started work back at school with a bang, and have been biking my own socks off.

For years I hated exercise. I enjoy hiking every now and then because I get to see beautiful things and breathe clean air; plus it doesn't feel like exercise! But the monotony of going to a gym or hopping around to dreaded workout videos doesn't work for me. Blah!

Last summer I watched my first city bike race up close and personal. Wow, to be able to ride like that. Amazing.  

I've had thoughts of doing something BIG, like a marathon (not likely w/ my knee) or a mud run (somewhat possible) or the STP (2 day bike ride from Seattle to Portland - 205 miles). My dad did the STP 5 times. Wow. My brother even joined him one year. It seems so far off for me, but is something I want to do.

The bike I bought 5 years ago has been collecting spider webs and rust out on the deck. I had "planned" on cleaning it up and riding all summer, so that when I went back to my regular work schedule I would already be in the habit. Each time I saw my bike out of the corner of my eye, I would shamefully look away. 

Then one day in mid-August I would have it no more. I asked my husband to grab his air compressor, give my flat tires some life, wipe off the dusty seat and get me off my duff and start riding.

bike riding for exercise
I have to admit, I was a little afraid I wouldn't be able to ride without looking like a freak show. Many years ago, I hopped on a bike at my parents house, pushed my feet firmly in the shoe clips, began peddling and proceeded to dump over in the bushes. Wah, wah.

But as of today, I have logged about 90 miles since August 14th and am going strong! I never knew I was going to love it as much as I do. Remember what it felt like to ride down the street with the wind blowing across your face as a kid? It's like that. Only better, when you know you're getting healthier with each pedal.

I knew I would kick myself for not starting this a long time ago, but sometimes you just have to start where you are.


SUBSCRIBE (never miss a post!): Subscribe to ShannonSews
BLOGLOVIN: ShannonSews on Bloglovin
FACEBOOK: facebook.com/SSorensenDesigns
TWITTER: @ShannonSews1
INSTAGRAM: ShannonSorensenDesigns on Instagram
SHOP: Shannon Sorensen Designs + Fairface Washcloths
YOUTUBE: youtube.com/ShannonSews

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! Way to go, Shannon!

    I need to dust my bike off, too. I paid way too much for it to be collecting dust in the garage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauralynn! I need to figure out how to be a dedicated rider even through yucky weather. Still working on it! :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips